As more and more smokable products come onto the market, it’s important to know about the differences between them. In this post, we’ll take a look at hempettes, CBD cigarettes, their differences, and their similarities.
What Is a Hempette?
A hempette is a shortened name for “hemp cigarette.” They are given that name because they are cigarette-shaped pre-rolls made using industrial hemp flower instead of tobacco.
Like traditional cigarettes, hempettes are generally sold in packs of 20 and are easily mass-produced using cigarette-filling machines. Unlike traditional cigarettes, hempettes contain no nicotine (unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.)
What Are Hempettes Made Of?
Hempettes are generally made of a few simples parts.
- Rolling paper – Generally made of lightweight “rag fibers” like pressed flax, hemp, and rice straw.
- Mouthpiece filter – Made with imitation cork paper. That traditional brown cigarette filter tip.
- Hemp fill – Ground up, dried hemp material. This can include the CBD-rich flowers and fibers from the hemp plant. This type of fill is not ideal for delivering high sizable doses of CBD.
How Are Hempettes Made?
Depending on the manufacturer and scale, hempettes can be made much the same way traditional tobacco cigarettes are made.
The process starts by creating one long hempette called a “rod.” Rods are made when a spool of rolling paper multiple meters long is unrolled and filled with hemp fill. A machine then wraps the unrolled paper around the hemp fill and forms the long hempette.
Machines then slice the single rod into shorter pieces and insert filters at both ends. Each of these double filtered smaller rods is then cut in half producing two filtered hempettes.
Are Hempettes Good For You?
Hempettes are a great alternative to traditional tobacco cigarettes— raw hemp fill is far less damaging and toxic than tobacco cigarettes filled with nasty additives.
That said, smoking hempettes, or anything for that matter, isn’t going to be good for your health. Combusting material will always introduce excessive heat and heated materials into your body.
Do Hempettes Get You High?
Smoking hempettes will not make you feel intoxicated.
To be considered hemp and not marijuana, smokable hemp must contain less than 0.3% THC by dry weight. Instead of feeling “high” as you might with traditional marijuana, you might feel much more relaxed or chilled out due to the CBD present in smokable hemp.
What Is a CBD Cigarette?
CBD cigarettes can refer to a few different things. During this piece’s initial writing, CBD cigarettes were a stand-in, albeit an uncommon one, for CBD pre-rolls.
CBD Cigarettes (pre-rolls) were made with higher-quality fill, higher CBD content, and therefore were generally more expensive than hempette products.
More recently, the name “CBD Cigarette” has increasingly been used to describe what you might traditionally call a hempette— we’ll call that an industry growing pain. For the remainder of this piece though, whenever we refer to CBD Cigarettes, we’ll be referring to CBD pre-rolls.
What Are CBD Cigarettes Made Of?
CBD Cigarettes are made of a few parts.
- Pre-rolled paper cones – Generally made of 100% pure hemp fiber. You can buy these yourself from brick-and-mortar or online headshops by the box.
- Mouthpiece – This part is more often than not built into the pre-rolled paper cone and is a thicker piece of hemp-pressed cardstock rolled into an m-pattern.
- CBD flower fill – Ground up, cured hemp flower material. Because hemp flowers are where a lot of the hemp plant’s CBD (and sometimes moisture) is stored, this fill can be too sticky for effective rolling. Humidity and temperature control are a must when manufacturing CBD cigarettes.
How Are CBD Cigarettes Made?
Unlike hempettes, CBD cigarette manufacturing will look different depending on the company.
At Sunset Lake CBD, we create our CBD pre-roll lineup with the use of a mechanical fill machine. Paper cones are fitted into slots by hand, filled and packed with the help of a machine, pulled and inspected by hand, and then folded closed by hand.
The entire process and multiple touchpoints ensure that each pre-roll is the best it can be.
Do CBD Cigarettes Get You High?
Smoking CBD cigarettes will not make you feel “high” or intoxicated.
To be considered hemp and not marijuana, smokable hemp must contain less than 0.3% THC by dry weight. Instead of feeling “high” as you might with traditional marijuana, you might feel much more relaxed or chilled out due to the CBD.
Are CBD Cigarettes Addictive?
Smoking CBD is not addictive.
CBD is a naturally-occurring, non-psychoactive cannabinoid. The World Health Organization (WHO) says that “In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential…”
CBD Cigarettes are also a great alternative for folks looking to quit traditional tobacco cigarettes. Users report that the CBD inside helps mellow them out, while the act of smoking helps them ramp down on their nicotine addiction rather than going cold-turkey.
Hempettes vs. CBD Cigarettes
More seasoned smokers might be able to tell the difference between hempettes and CBD cigarettes, but we may be able to help fill in some gaps.
- CBD Content – CBD cigarettes (pre-rolls) contain higher levels of CBD than hempettes. This is mainly due to the quality of the fill. Hempettes contain all parts of the hemp plant— stalk, leaves, and flower. While this helps create a highly-smokable, homogenized blend it isn’t as potent as CBD cigarettes’ exclusively hemp-flower fill.
- Shape – Hempettes look much like traditional cigarettes while CBD cigarettes look more like cones or joints.
- Price – Because of the more expensive fill and labor required to make CBD cigarettes, they are, per unit, more expensive than hempettes.
- Material – CBD cigarettes contain mostly hemp flower and are made of mostly hemp. Hempettes on the other hand contain more parts of the hemp plant and are made with non-hemp paper.
CBD Pre Rolls From Sunset Lake CBD
Sunset Lake CBD produces hand-crafted, pesticide-free CBD cigarettes. We offer affordable packs of five prerolls…